Identity Theft is clearly a serious concern for consumers in the USA and increasingly worldwide.
The FTC estimates that as many as 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year.
Identity theft cost victims billion in out-of-pocket expenses and even greater losses to businesses and financial institutions. With the rapid advances in technology and easily granted credit the security and safe transfer of information often lags behind.
Identity Theft Protection as a public service is a new field. There are many young and upcoming companies offering to help you prevent becoming a victim of malicious identity theft or identity hacking.
Some of the services offered by these companies are actions that one can do alone but many choose to enlist this help due to lack of time, know-how or because they want the extra assurance of the having experts on their side.
People who choose to outsource these services can choose to use an identity theft company that takes care of all these service on an ongoing basis. Credit monitoring and recovery services can help you with recovery after the theft has occurred. Identity Theft Protection Companies are proactive to hand minimize the occurrence and damage done by identity fraud but can also offer recovery services as support for those crimes that do make it past the security shield.
But the question is How to Choose an Identity Theft Protection Service that will suit your needs?
1Set up a fraud alert. An Identity Theft Protection service should set up and, every 90 days, maintain a fraud alert on your behalf with all three of the Credit Monitoring Agencies.
2Monitor your credit report. Requesting and monitoring your free annual credit report on your behalf and keeping you updated.
3Remove your name from all pre-approved credit card and junk mail lists.
4Offer victim recovery services with a personal counselor to guide you if you ever do fall victim to identity theft.
5Offer a guarantee to pay for professional assistance in restoring any loss resulting from identity theft that you may happen while you are a member of their service. This will hold valid if you have complied with this initial terms of agreement.
- An Identity Theft Protection company certified by the International Organization for Standardization for good business practices is a mark of the highest security standards for data handling and processing.
- Some Identity Theft Protection Services could offer you cover for wages lost due to identity theft.Find out the terms of offer and what the limit is on the wages you can claim.
6Choose a protection plan. Parents will want to choose a protection plan that offers Children’s Services that will alert you if anyone is using your child’s Social Security Numbers illegally. Children are issued with a Social Security Number at birth and are good targets for identity theft.
- They could offer to have your ID Replaced if lost. This service will has experts available around the clock to help with reporting and replacing items and documents like,credit cards, ATM cards, debit cards, driver’s license, social security cards,insurance cards (health, auto, etc.), professional licenses and certificates, Passport,immigration documents, owner’s checkbook or traveler’s checks.
- They should have database that is secure from hackers as this will indicate strong account security.
7Identity Theft Protection Company should run background checks on employees and use surveillance and alarm systems as a large proportion of identity theft is committed by business insiders.
8Should be reputed for confidentiality and quality service as these also indicate that they have strong account security.
9Consider your monthly investment in identity theft protection based upon its features. consider all of the benefits and weigh them against the the headaches and enormous time and money you would have to spend to regain your identity, if it was stolen.
- Don’t fall prey to ID Theft! Sign up for PrivacyMaxx ID Recovery Service today!
* Covers you and your immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, children at the same address up to age 25, IRS dependents sharing the same address regardless of age, or nursing home/hospice, or deceased 12 months or less)
* Fully-managed ID recovery service
* Covers ID theft with no family fraud or other exclusions
* Unlimited restorations
* No deductible
* Work until credit and identity are restored to pre-theft status
* Includes 12 months of post-recovery monitoring
* $25,000 Expense Reimbursement